samedi 2 février 2008

Travailler pour se construire

"Travailler pour se construire". This phrase had hit my head so badly...

The main reason why we choose to work, is to able to earn, to be able to buy bread at the end of the day and to help our family we left back home. And believe me I'm not againts to this kind of reasoning, its just I believe on something more than that!

I used to work in a luxury hôtel, got an interesting salary, for an immigrant like me its quite worth it! but one day I decided to quit the job, suddenly got scared for many reasons, and one of those: "what if I'll be stuck to this kind of job forever?!"

Now, Im staying at home and I've been thinking...that working is not only about earning money, neither about buying bread at the end of the day, but for me working is about being independent...D'être un individu, avoir le priviledge d'aprendre quelques choses tout les jours. And lastly, if one day things doesn't turn out the way we want it to be, I know I can stand on my own two feet without being scared of facing the world.

My husband is having a soaring career and I'm very proud of him, but I don't want to be his responsibility for the rest of our lives. This time I will look for a job that suites me, I will aime higher, and I strongly believe that its possible. As what they said "Qui ne tente rien n'a rien".

11 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit…

Hi Ann,

I'm curious as to why you decided the hotel was not a good fit for you. A few years ago I worked in a hotel too. I dealt with guests at the front desk and after nine months decided I had to get out. Luckily, instead of leaving the hotel, I just transferred to the catering/banquets department. I still dealt with guests but I planned their parties and meeting conferences so it was kinda fun.

Nowadays, I'm a stay-at-home mom. I wish I had time to read because, like you, I love books. But everytime I try to read, my son interrupts (he wants to read it too). Someday, I'm going to have those marathon reading sessions.

Congratulations on your husband's career, by the way...

Hello there! a dit…

Hi Joanne, I like working in the hotels. I tried to apply as a receptionist more then a couple of times in the big hotels, coz that's my job before in Dubai before I came to Paris & I studied hotel management, but due to my language handicap, they refuse, so I decided to work as a valet de chambre, its femme de chambre actually except that I dont clean bathrooms & Im the one who talks to the clients whenever they need something coz I can speak english. I did the job for the experience & the moment I ask for promotion, they just said: "we dont give room for promotion specialy for the post I have" malgré mes capacities pour être governante, donc ça ma beacoup déçue. Maintenant j'ai re-essayé de postuler pour le poste de receptionist dans d'autres hotels et on verra que-ce que ça donne!

What kind of books you read? Do you read in French?

Anonyme a dit…

Oh no, I don't read in French. I don't even really know how to speak it. I took two years of French when I was in high school but that was ages ago. I can understand some words though. When my husband and I talk, it's always in English. Sometimes I forget he's French.

I recently bought a French language CD course so I can start learning again. Hopefully, I'll learn enough that when do go back to Europe to visit his parents, I'll know more of the language.

Too bad the job you had didn't have room for a promotion. It seems to me you're comfortable with French that you could easily converse with guests if you were a receptionist. I'm sure you'll find the right job soon enough.

As for books, anything goes really. I like murder/mystery, the classics (Jane Austen,Victor Hugo), history and science (especially theories in physics). There are a few books I'd like to read right now, but like I said before, it's difficult with a little hand always grabbing for it. What about you? You obviously like books about philosophy. And how long have you been in France?

Anonyme a dit…

I just read your profile on the type of books you like and you mentioned Jane Austen as well :) Actually one of the books I want to read is The Historian and you listed the author. Also I've read Marian Keyes numerous times because as you said, it's easy to read. That's exactly why I read it too, not a lot of thinking involved. And although I love cook books, I don't cook (I just like looking at the tempting pictures :)

Hello there! a dit…

Ohh, I read about anything, lit,roman,classics,actually it depends on my mood. I can stay in a bookstore for hours looking for the book that can inspire me.
I've read "the historian" of Elizabeth Kostova, I recommend this book, its really good, I find it so enigmatic. I think It's her first novel if Im not mistaken!
I started reading french literature not so long ago. I started with Exuspery,"le petit Prince", Charles Perrault. Now I'm reading Voltaire,"Candide", I like his philosophy thinking. And I like recipe books, in fact I practice reading in french with those.I have to be inspired in learning french,since I love cooking so I find it easy to read.
By the way, are you a Filipina? if you dont mind me asking :-)

Anonyme a dit…

Opps! I should have mentioned before I'm a Filipina too. I was born in Luzon and came to the US when I was ten so I basically grew up here. But I can still speak Tagalog and every now and then I visit my relatives in the Philippines.

Hello there! a dit…

Its nice to know that you are a filipina. Im from Cebu though. Do you visit France often?

Anonyme a dit…

I've only been to France once and that was two years ago. We're planning to go this year, around Christmas time. So do you know how to speak Tagalog or just the Cebu dialect (I'm sorry I don't know what the correct term is). There's a Filipina blogger (married to a French man) in Marseilles that I've gotten to know through email exchanges. I'm hoping to meet her when we go in December. Of course I'll want to go to Paris too so maybe I can meet you as well. By the way, if you ever want to write me, my email is joannemoulin@hotmail.com. Then I can send you a couple of pictures of me and my small family so I won't be a faceless commenter on your blog (and I'm nice too)!

Hello there! a dit…

Thank you for trusting me your e-mail add. And heres mine also: annroselle_g@gmx.net. It would be nice to see you personally. So if you will pass by in Paris I would be very please to see you.

I can speak Tagalog and yes, Cebuano is our dialect in Cebu. But Im not so confortable in writing Tagalog i find it too long to write :-) but if you like to communicate in Tagalog, why not?

Anonyme a dit…

Yeah writing in Tagalog takes longer for me too. Pero gusto ko lang mag-practice pag minsan para hindi ko malilimutan. I'll send you some pictures later today. I still have to see which file and which computer I saved it on.

Hello there! a dit…

Magandang umaga Joanne :-) hindi na ako nakasagot kagabi kasi natulog na ako.